Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Zak's Ocean Shader Freely Downloadable [6.5]  (Read 149563 times)
oconnellseanm
Community Member

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 08:22:38 AM »

Quote from: "rootsage"
Yep, check the title of the post "Zak's Ocean Shader Freely Downloadable [6.5]"

Cheesy

Well is there no way to distribute the TV 6.5 DLL files with the app?
tweakbox
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 08:28:41 AM »

That's against the current beta license agreement.

I want to make a puzzle with like 40,000 pieces, and when it's done, it says "Go Outside"
darqSHADOW
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 09:57:30 AM »

Quote from: "tweakbox"
Quote from: "Happy"
:shock:  OMG Zak Awesome work!!!  I have only a geforce FX 5500 (need to upgade soon) :lol:, but i was exspecting like 7-10 fps... nope I hit around a good 29 looking down at the shader, and  40-45 moving across it  im very impressed man TV is extremely fast, ima look into shaders now thanks. Smiley

Hrm, I've got a 4800+ dual core cpu, 2 gigs of very high-performance memory, and an ATI Radeon X1900XT 512 meg graphics card, complete with 48 pixel processing pipelines, and in both windowed and fullscreen I get around 35 FPS max, with 22 or so when I look right down at the water.  I'm fairly sure I've turned off all the happy settings in the graphics card drivers, but there's a bunch of happy settings in that thing, so I may have missed one.

Seems like I should be getting at least a few more FPS out of it though...

Something is surely wrong on your end, Tweak.  Look at the previous page for how my system handled the demo, even with a single card I blew your FPS away, and my CPU is only a 3800+, but I have 4GB of RAM.

DS

TrueVision3D Project Manager
The fast and simple way of 3D development.
Oxygen
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2006, 12:35:05 PM »

I'm running this Water (dual mode) with the HLSL Sky Zak created along with a landscape & 100 cylinders for tree placeholders, with shadows.

anisotropic & 16X AA. Looks fantastic 200+ FPS at 1280x1024 on a 7800GTX, 2gig ram, Athlon 64 3000+
tweakbox
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 12:43:41 PM »

Ok, so yea, I'm going to have to look into this or throw my video card against the wall.

I was going to have dual 7900 GT's, but the BFG ones I got kept comming with broken cap's.  I went through 3 RMA replacements with Newegg over that crap before I decided to just get the ATI card instead.

But seriously, I'm going to look into this tonight after work.

I want to make a puzzle with like 40,000 pieces, and when it's done, it says "Go Outside"
Zaknafein
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 02:30:18 PM »

Great to hear Oxygen Smiley
By the way, the dual-lookup texture I provided kinda stinks. It's way too harsh, and at high waveAmplitude settings it makes the fresnel look wierd.
Taking a single frame from the volume texture for dual-lookup makes it looks better IMO, if you wanna try that out.

darqSHADOW
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 02:53:50 PM »

Ok, so yea, I'm going to have to look into this or throw my video card against the wall.

I was going to have dual 7900 GT's, but the BFG ones I got kept comming with broken cap's.  I went through 3 RMA replacements with Newegg over that crap before I decided to just get the ATI card instead.

Wierd man.  I'm running dual BFG's myself and I've never had a problem.  This is the 6th and 7th BFG cards I've owned, prior to this I had some ATI cards, and then before that I went thru about 12 GF cards in one year (swearing I'd never go back to them)...  Until I found BFG...  Wink

DS

TrueVision3D Project Manager
The fast and simple way of 3D development.
tweakbox
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »

Quote from: "darqSHADOW"

Wierd man.  I'm running dual BFG's myself and I've never had a problem.  This is the 6th and 7th BFG cards I've owned, prior to this I had some ATI cards, and then before that I went thru about 12 GF cards in one year (swearing I'd never go back to them)...  Until I found BFG...  Wink

DS

Yea, I've had 10 or so BFG cards.  That was just some sort of issue they had with the early runs of that card I think, because other people had the same trouble.  I would have waited, but I had no video card at that time, so I was a little anxious Wink

But I'm seriously going to take a look into this in an hour or so and report back here what I find.  Is anyone else running this sample on an ATI card by chance?  It would be nice to know if there is a broader issue here.

tweakbox
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »

Ok, that doesn't make me feel so bad anymore.  I must have missed a setting, or done something odd.  I just turned off all of the special stuff in my graphics card drivers and now I get 700 FPS looking at the land, and about 500 looking right down at the water in fullscreen @ 1360x768.

Definately a great job on the shader though Zak.  I'm going to be messing around with this here to see what kind of nifty stuff I can come up with.

Mietze
Community Member

Pleeease, don't let it crash!

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2006, 03:10:27 PM »

Hi everyone, this is e!

Err.. I dunno where to start.. Smiley
I'm very impressed of Zak's shader.. its real eyecandy. Anyhow, i needed a good watershader for my game to simulate oceans and moving rivers, so i took it and modified it the last three days. It was a LOT of hard work and many hours of reading related theories, but the result is very impressive!

Quote from: "Zaknafein"
Do not just take the shader and fit it in your app like a plug-in. There are TONS of customizations possible with the parameters, constants and compilation flags in the shader and in the code, play with them, adapt the shader to your tastes, or even better, learn HLSL and optimize it to your needs!!
This is exactly what i did. I sure hope I didnt violated his copyright.

The 3D parallax map (shown in the screenshots) was made using a trial version of CGSD's Bump Texture Tools, so I guess you wouldn't be allowed to use it in a commercial project.
My game (Zara'ur) is non-commercial, so there wont be a problem.

So what did i modify? Its simple: I removed specular/foam, optimized the whole code, added an alphamapped diffusemap, optimized fresnel, added real refraction based on the alphamap and.. a lot of other things. The shader is optimized now, runs with 28 instructions and on my machine in this little testlevel at ~630FPS.

Comments are welcome  :wink:

Check out my blog at www.e-studioz.de - The finest in gross trash Wink
Oxygen
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2006, 03:31:35 PM »

That is some sexy caribbean water you've got there. Very nice.
Zaknafein
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »

Excellent!! Cheesy

I'm glad someone made something totally different from what it originally looked like... the refraction looks great!
28 instructions? Wow, that rocks. Congratulations! Smiley

If it's not too much to ask, what do you mean by "real refraction based on the alphamap"? The alpha channel of the diffuse map you added?
Edit : If I am not mistaken, you removed the detail normal-map as well...?

potato
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2006, 04:55:22 PM »

Very very nice Mietze Cheesy You shader guys never cease to amaze.

I'm waiting for a shader that simulates the waves crashing against the shores *whip* get to work! Cheesy
Taneas
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2006, 09:51:09 PM »

you shoud share Smiley

- Working as Intended -
- FTW Studios Lead Developer -
- www.ftw-studios.com -
Raine
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2006, 10:35:52 PM »

It looks really, really cool Mietze. And I agree with Taneas about the sharing ^^.

Mietze
Community Member

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2006, 11:47:08 PM »

Thanks everyone, i hoped youd like it! Smiley

If it's not too much to ask, what do you mean by "real refraction based on the alphamap"? The alpha channel of the diffuse map you added?
Yup. The refraction is only there calculated, where the water is semi-transparent (near the coast).

Edit : If I am not mistaken, you removed the detail normal-map as well...?
Yes. The detail normalmap pimped the specular lighting a lot, but without the specular lighting there is no big need for it anymore Smiley

Waterman
Community Member

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2006, 01:48:08 AM »

I have a question. Since you call these "ocean waves" i'd like to ask what you do to cover large areas with the water surface (since an ocean is rather large : -))? I take it this surface is a s quare? How big is the square, and what happens when the camera approaches the edge of the square?

Things should be described as simply as possible - but not simpler [A. Einstein]
Rynus_Rein
Community Member

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2006, 03:16:50 AM »

I think the water then just stops continuing like you reach the end of a plane.

Rynus Rein
Current Project: MapX Live, Society3D
Mietze
Community Member

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2006, 06:56:56 AM »

Quote from: "Waterman"
I have a question. Since you call these "ocean waves" i'd like to ask what you do to cover large areas with the water surface (since an ocean is rather large : -))? I take it this surface is a s quare? How big is the square, and what happens when the camera approaches the edge of the square?
There cant be continous water, as you may know. But you can scale your waterplane as you want to. You just have to fit your UV-scale and tell it the shader. The diffusemap is clamped to the terrain so the water outside the terrain cant have special watercolors. The reflection- and refraction-maps are clamped to the projected view, so there are no limitations with the waterplane.  :wink:

Zaknafein
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2006, 06:59:24 AM »

Yea, I didn't make any plane size management...
An easy workaround : put ludicrously large values to the plane, and add "clip(IN.dist - 1000);" as the first pixel shader instruction, and add a "OUT.dist = dist(worldPos.xz, camPos.xz);" to the vertex shader or something similar. That would limit the viewable size of the plane yet have a "virtual plane" that's so large that it does not seem to end.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: