Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mesh Scale Resets After Setting a Parent?  (Read 4351 times)
sybixsus
Customers
Community Member

« on: April 15, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »

Should the mesh scale reset to 1.0 after parenting it to something? Because that's what it seems to do.
sgrippa
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 02:08:04 AM »

It happened to me too, eventually I will post a movie of the problem but the description seems quite exaustive.
After parenting a mesh the scale is resetted to 1.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. (Rich Cook)
sybixsus
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 06:18:35 PM »

Thanks for the confirmation. sgrippa.

Should I add this to the bugtracker or has it been noted now?
sgrippa
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 03:41:38 AM »

Sy, since I see no response here I suppose it has not been noticed and I think it will be better to add to bugtracker, did you already add it or shall I do it ?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. (Rich Cook)
darqSHADOW
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »

I will take a look when I get a chance, lots of things on my plate right now, so perhaps one of the other devs can take a look.

DS

TrueVision3D Project Manager
The fast and simple way of 3D development.
sgrippa
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »

Thanks DS, will you ever need a movie of the problem just let me know.

SylvainTV
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 02:22:55 AM »

See SetAttachMode, it has a mode to "remove scale", it's maybe the problem here?

Moreover, If you have the parent with a scale of 5,5,5 and and the child with a scale of 0.2,0.2,0.2, it will look as if the child had a scale of 1,1,1.

Regards

Sylvain Dupont
TrueVision3D Developer
sylvain@truevision3d.com

TV3D IRC at http://chat.truevision3d.com or on server irc.truevision3d.com #Truevision3D. Come talk with us !
sgrippa
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:28:32 AM »

Well, thanks Sylvain, later I will look at my code and see if the problem resides there.
I will post here when I will be home.

sybixsus
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »

Quote from: "SylvainTV"
See SetAttachMode, it has a mode to "remove scale", it's maybe the problem here?

Moreover, If you have the parent with a scale of 5,5,5 and and the child with a scale of 0.2,0.2,0.2, it will look as if the child had a scale of 1,1,1.

Hi Sylvain, no that's not it. In fact, I would have expected the behaviour you describe, but the parent has a scale of 1,1,1 as it has just been created and has not been scaled. It just seems to scale the child to match rather than as a proportion of the scale it had before you attached it.
SylvainTV
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:12:15 AM »

Maybe something else then :

When you attach a mesh to another thing (or SetParent), the local matrix is reset unless you use True in the "bKeepMatrix" parameters of AttachTo function. So I think that scaling is set back to 1,1,1 just like translation is set back to 0,0,0 and rotation to 0,0,0.

So try to use AttachTo (it's actually the same as SetParent) with bKeepMatrix = true.

Regards

Sylvain Dupont
TrueVision3D Developer
sylvain@truevision3d.com

TV3D IRC at http://chat.truevision3d.com or on server irc.truevision3d.com #Truevision3D. Come talk with us !
sgrippa
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »

It may be right, since I remember that also the rotation of my child was affected.
I will try to keep the matrix true an post if the problem is solved.
Thanks.

sybixsus
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 12:18:17 PM »

Quote from: "SylvainTV"
So try to use AttachTo (it's actually the same as SetParent) with bKeepMatrix = true.

Well I would have been using it, but I could have sworn I read a message from you saying that SetParent was more advanced than AttachTo, because it could be used for a complex hierarchy.

But if they're both equally capable of a complex hierarchy, then I guess I'll try converting across and see if it helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: