Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [VB6] TV6.2 on Vista  (Read 15145 times)
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« on: January 31, 2007, 03:59:34 AM »

Okay.. maybe it's my installation of VB that's all messed up, but I'm having some real trouble getting Truevision to work on Vista.

I have the TVutil dll in the Windows\System32 folder.

I have Truevision3D.dll in the same folder, and as near as I can tell, it's registerd. I say this because it's showing up properly in my VB referenced file list.

And obviously I have the engine referenced. Even the auto-complete function of the IDE works when I Type TrueVision3D and the dot, all the class members list out properly.

However, when call;

Set gTV = New Truevision3D.TVEngine

I get a ActiveX Component can't Create Object error.

This happens anytime I make a call to TV.

If anyone has any suggestions at all, please let me know... my whole project is failing when used on Vista...  :?
Turael
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 10:31:13 AM »

never touch a running system :)
if you use vista, you'll be a paing beta-user for m$..
so why use vista, before "service pack #2"? :D

tura
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »

Okay that doesn't help.

TV commercial developers need to check their products on Vista to ensure compatibility.

Customers will be buying new computers and they all run vista now. Existing games and projects made with TV6.2 need to run. VB6 is supported according to MS, and if you install it properly (meaning after a lot of trial and error with different security settings), it does seem to work.

The TV engine doesn't though.
darqSHADOW
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »

David, I believe you solved this by talking direct with Sylvain, can you confirm?

I have a Vista PC running at home myself now, and I am going back thru and doing regression testing to ensure 6.2 and 6.5 have zero problems on the new OS.  So far 6.5 seems perfect, and we will be code signing our DLL's starting with the next release (to eliminate security issues).  From there we can move onto webpage embedded TV3D.  Wink

DS

TrueVision3D Project Manager
The fast and simple way of 3D development.
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 04:43:28 PM »

Yes. The problem was with Vista's new "security" system. The UAC.. it basically doesn't let a user do anything.. it even blocks admins from doing admin stuff.. like registering DLLs.

Basically, I had to;

1. switch off UAC

2. reboot the computer

3. RegSver the DX8VB.dll and then the Truevision3d.dll (in that order)

4. switch on the UAC again (otherwise VB's IDE won't load).

5. Reboot again.

And for those that are interested, you can not compile a COM DLL on vista with VB6. The UAC prevents VB from writing the necessary data to the registry. Well, you can compile it, and it will write it to disk, but it won't register it. To register it, you have to go through the above process again each time.

And no, I have not been able to just turn off the UAC and use my computer as if it were XP.

It's unfortunate that new computers will only ship with Vista because I have not found any reason for someone to willingly upgrade..
AriusMyst
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 04:55:25 PM »

You should be able to turn the UAC off with one button. Its in user accounts iirc. But yes, it is annoying lol. But as I say, I just had a button in the cp.
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:08:18 PM »

It doesn't quite work that way.

If you turn off the UAC, then it doesn't allow the VBIDE simply can't load properly.

Windows also continually prompt you with 'Are you sure you want to start this application'? dialogs

All in all the UAC needs to die a very quick death.
AriusMyst
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 06:17:23 PM »

It worked that way here. I get no prompt dialogs. All I had to do was hit the button. I'm not sure about the VB6 IDE. But all the dialogs and "Are you sure you want to do this 'insert file operation'?" dialogs went away.

Edit:

Is here[click for big]:

BlindSide
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »

I'll be installing vista either tonight or tomorrow, so I'll do a check on this as well.
phether
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »

David,
Are you still having problems with Vista?
We were experiencing it on my software with some Vista installs and not others.

After some diggin I came up with the cause (at least in my case)
It turns out the file dxvb8.dll is not included with Windows Vista.

If the user upgrades from WinXp it is there (and then registering TrueVision3d.dll works)
If they have a fresh install that file is not there. By having this file saved to the windows/system32 folder and registering it before installing made the problem go away.

paul

Birds of a phether...
Code with pride not ego!
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 07:09:46 PM »

That's correct DX8VB.dll is not included. But I was including it in my installation packages.

The problem seems to be the order it was installed in. I was installing, and registering the TV.dll prior to the DXVB dll.

For some reaons that probably only Microsoft knows, not having the DXVB dll in place and registered first was causing the truevision.dll to not register properly. I don't know why but I stopped asking any I just live with the fact that's what you have to do to make it work...

The UAC on vista is a nightmare. After much trial and error, I finally have VB6 able to compile and register a COM dll, but I'm not exactly sure what I did to make it finally work..

Thanks
ShiZZa_AuX
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 03:11:41 AM »

My XP machine with SP1 did not come with DX8VB.DLL pre installed.  So its been missing longer then that.
phether
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »

I know XP sp2 ships with DirectX 9, but all of the machines I have checked on have included that file.
*sigh* the joys of deploying software  :twisted:
-paul

Birds of a phether...
Code with pride not ego!
DavidAWinter
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 01:24:21 PM »

Quote from: "phether"
I know XP sp2 ships with DirectX 9, but all of the machines I have checked on have included that file.
*sigh* the joys of deploying software  :twisted:
-paul

Yeah, SP2 includes that file as part of the OS. It's also part of the normal DX9 installation cab files.

The problem though, pointed out in another thread, is that there is no longer a legal way to get that dll onto vista.
phether
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »

True,
I was responding the the XP Sp1 one post about the file not being there.
Smiley

Birds of a phether...
Code with pride not ego!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: