Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper Trail  (Read 4979 times)
EzikialX
Customers
Community Member

« on: April 29, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »

Just wanted to let people know that I'm working on somewhat of a hobby project.  It's a sandbox survival type multiplayer game.  There is no main objective, other than surviving and building.

NPC's will also inhabit the world (from their own prebaked towns randomly generated) that you can sell/buy resources from.  You can also obtain resources from natural sources on land and sea.  For instance, cutting down a tree will give you paper scrap, which can be crafted into a paper sheets and then "drawn" with dyes to create the building blocks for other objects.

Minecraft was my primary influence for this project, since I enjoy it so much.  I encourage you to check it out if you haven't already. And no, I'm not making a block-based game.  It will be using landscapes, meshes, actors, etc.

I also wanted to make each server capable of being graphically customizable by installing new packages.  This will allow admins to use their own models and such in the ways they wish.

Link:
http://papertrail-game.blogspot.com/

All models are in "2d" to mimic cutout paper creatures and objects.

The basic model of the whole thing is to have users host their own servers, since I don't have the resources to do so.  Right now, I plan on the whole thing being free, mod-able, and just for fun.

Check out my blog for updates and more information as I progress.  If you have any cool ideas, I'm always open to suggestions. 

Thanks guys  Smiley

=Testing Shots=

Static tree, and actor model with name identifier:

Static Models:

Simple Interface control test:

---------------------------------

SylvainTV
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:21:35 PM »

Original idea, keep up the good work.

Regards

Sylvain Dupont
TrueVision3D Developer
sylvain@truevision3d.com

TV3D IRC at http://chat.truevision3d.com or on server irc.truevision3d.com #Truevision3D. Come talk with us !
EzikialX
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:10:32 AM »

Thanks Sylvain.

I have more updates on my blog (no screenies yet.) Just started implementing regions in the world, which hold each grouping of world objects (fences, trees, etc).

Getting all of the networking basics done, character in-game movement and chat, and then handling the graphics/world packages that will be downloaded/streamed.

Actually pretty pleased with the progress so far, and it doesn't look half bad, code organization-wise.

Had a little discussion with some co-workers today about the NPCs.  What I will be shooting for are two types.  Building-Anchored NPCs, and random spawns.  Building anchored will be associated with a constructed building type.  For example, a guard will be spawned from a guard post.  He will stay at his post, or wander a user-defined path around owned property (only a specific radius around the guard post).  Blacksmith NPCs will stay near their forge, and offer services, and townsfolk will be spawned from houses (and add tax income to the players bank). Random spawns will be creatures and whatnot from generators in the wild.  A bear cave will spawn bears to roam, rabbit hole will spawn rabbits (general idea).  Each type of npc can be assigned a scriptable behavior only accessible by admins.

This obviously is down the road, but something I'm shooting for as an ultimate goal.

Thanks for everyone who has visited the blog though.  I hope to keep some level of interest in the project.  I'll try to get some sort of visual candy out when I have more, and maybe one day a demo to roam with.

broadband
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:26 AM »

Your is quite good. You yourself will get some better technique or idea if you are still working on it...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: