Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Imperium Magica - RPG maker with Truevision 6.5 Beta  (Read 19497 times)
peteym5
Community Member

« on: April 15, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »

I am upgrading my RPG maker that will be using Truevision3D version 6.5. I had to look at demos and find posts on here to figure out how to get things working. The help file appears to have never been completed. Looking at the demos and going through the function list I came up with some interesting additions.

Foliage and Forests. This adds something growing out of the terrain. Foliage uses a minimesh, forests use a custom mesh with its height point adapted onto of a terrain.

Holes in Landscape. You can select where you want holes into a landscape and add a tunnel or cave leading into the ground.

Water Planes can be placed anywhere in the RPG. Different Water Planes can have different height. Makes an interesting addition to the map.

Skydome and Clouds. This is a technique I was working on for a Dark Basic project. A Skydome sits at the cmaera position and wraps around like a skysphere with the difference of no bottom. The rendered image does not have to be wrapped around the bottom. Clouds images are placed randomly and moved around.

Does anyone know of more interesting effects and techniques they want me to use for my RPG maker?

I am posting the beta map editor at this time.

http://www.thepetezone.com/imperiummagica/Index.htm

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:04:05 PM by peteym5 » Logged
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

A few additional things I did along with upgrading to TV65. I upgrading the map properties and scenery element form (window). I used the .NET creategraphics to have some labels and sliding controls for scenery elements and map properties.

I wonder if there is a way to grab a Truevision Texture and draw it onto a separate form.

Some of the issues I am having is when I tried the Tangent Space Lighting Mode, things really slowed down to a crawl so I kept everything in normal lighting mode. I also cannot 100% align the terrain holes with the grid system I am using.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 04:56:49 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »

Smiley

Shouldn't the Download page when you book mark it say - RPG Builder Downloads. Instead of RPG Builder Homepage (Role Playing 3D Adventures).  Which I think is already being used for another page on your site? 

Using VB.NET, TV3D 6.5, Win 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Know how to ask. There is nothing more difficult for some people, nor for others, easier."

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »

Did you click on the above link or did you do it by Google search.

www.thepetezone.com and follow the links for Imperium Magica.

I just stopped here and did a Google search, surprised the old website is still on Angelfire. If people can get to the I should have it direct them to my GoDaddy page.

Done. I created a new redirect page and replaced all the sub pages on the Angelfire site.

Surprised that is still existing, I have not used that service since 2004.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:16:01 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »

Smiley

this link:
http://www.thepetezone.com/imperiummagica/Index.htm

But the page I am talking about, I got to by clicking DOWNLOADS!
Which take me here.

http://www.thepetezone.com/imperiummagica/imdl.html

and that is the page I was trying to bookmark. which said in the name text box  RPG Builder Homepage (Role Playing 3D Adventures) I believe it should say Downloads instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Know how to ask. There is nothing more difficult for some people, nor for others, easier."

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 09:28:17 PM »

Which web browser are you using?

This is a long shot, but I am suspecting there may be a link hijacker / redirect virus involved somewhere. I am checking all my links again. It does sound like you are getting redirected somehow.

What I uploaded and the main page is linked to sent me to a page with "Imperium Magica Dungeon Downloads" in big green words across the top of the screen. Which is what I put up on the server.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:32:37 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:28 PM »

Firefox 4

I do get the page with Green Lettering - Imperium Magica Dungeon Downloads, but the tab and the bookmark say's RPG Builder Homepage (Role Playing 3D Adventures) not Imperium Magica Dungeon Downloads. I don't know what's causing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »

The HTML tags inside my webpage, they were never changed. Thankyou for being more specific and bringing that to my attention. From your prior post, sounded like you were being directed to my old web page
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 01:19:38 AM »

Smiley

Your Welcome.  I'm sorry it took me a while to properly explain what I was seeing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »

I was able to change all the HTML tags within my webpage. Have to keep in mind I am managing all the aspects of this RPG maker myself and I occasionally overlook minor things like HTML tags.

I have been looking for co-development so I can focus on specific areas. My intention is to have something that someone can generate Role Playing Adventure Games with little effort. I am experimenting with new short cuts all the time.
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39:35 PM »

I have done an update to .99b beta. Some bug corrections, fixed the running out of memory problem. Was defining the engine globally as new, along with several of its components. Something that probably going on since started porting over to 6.5.

Most prominent upgrade is it now saves which textures you were last using in your map and texture sets. When you create a new map, default textures are selected, so you can add walls, floors, ceilings without being interrupted with the texture screen.  You can still change which textures you are using at anytime.

I would like  better system of managing texture sets. Noticed a common problem with many scenery editors when you get over a 100 textures, it gets tedious to scroll through and find the texture you want to apply.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:41:15 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »

Smiley

How do I tell if the file I downloaded yesterday evening is the the new update, you just posted about today? Or should I just download again and delete the other one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 05:28:43 PM »

I have to update my download page. Sometimes I may do several blind updates before announcing anything that fix minor problems. If its a major change, I put in a new version number.

I am looking for bug reports.
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:28:44 PM »

I have done a 3rd update, .99c beta. Primary thing I am experimenting with is aligning the terrain holes with my map grid. I am still keeping to extending the landscape larger than the game scene (map) so it can still have background mountains.

Did some debugging and working out how some processes work. Some things in this beta are not final and may change by the official release. I am holding off on porting everything into the game player (client program) until I get the scene elements adjusted to what I like.

Toaster
Community Member

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »

I just want to add that adding some lighting would help this game visually a ton. Also look into using different shader effects that the community has provides. Things like zak's sky, water, and shadow mapping example can provide major boosts in how the game looks. You can even turn these effects on or off depending on the users settings.

-Toaster

Visit my site at: Unknown Abstraction
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »

I experimented with Tangent Lighting mode and Shadows in the map editor, but it really bogs down the CPU and GPU, get really low frame rates. What I might have to do is not have these active inside the map editor, just need normal lighting mode to help you place stuff. The game player (client) program does not have the editor resources present. It just have to set things up once until the game ends. The camera far plane has to be really high so we can see all of the map. In the game, things can be scaled down to a fraction of that they are now.

Imperium Magica has a user setting screen where you can activate fog, sky clouds, texture repeating, just by checking a box. Maybe add tangent lighting and shadows as optional may work.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 10:50:32 AM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

Smiley

Please check your new download link for Imperium Magica v0.99C.  I don't see any www. in it and my computer keeps coming up with a OpenDNS Guide search page. My downloader doesn't see it when I try to download it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Baltasar Gracian
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:42 PM »

Try it now and let me know.

I am not sure what was going on with the link, the file name matches what I uploaded to the server, even matched up the case. I deleted and uploaded the file and it works now. I have to go back and check how the link is set up.

Since no one was able to download it, it is updated to today. I just tweaked a few features, lighting, forest appearance, arched doors, and windows.

I determined not to do anything graphics processor intensive on the editor, keep lighting normal without shadows. I can set it up to have those turn on inside the game since I can set the camera far plane lower.
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

I just want to add that adding some lighting would help this game visually a ton. Also look into using different shader effects that the community has provides. Things like zak's sky, water, and shadow mapping example can provide major boosts in how the game looks. You can even turn these effects on or off depending on the users settings.

Can you provide some links to these? I tried searching the forum and not getting anything specific. Going through sections and pages on here is not practical either. I should mention much of the screen shots are from the 6.3 version which has a more primitive lighting control and effects set up.

I did make use of TV65 water effect, in that you can create multiple water planes in desired areas. I was never looking for a super fancy sky, just need clouds, sun, and blue back ground.

Shadows and Shader effects seems to be what I want to bring into my games. Tweaking the graphics for this thing is something that can go on forever. I want to be more focused on the Role Playing Aspects along with finding ways to make things easier with making these Games.

In the past decade, I had requested some help with this project. Maybe a Media Person, Assistance with graphics programming, and someone to work with communications for MMORPG port. Looking at samples is in a way providing assistance.

Something I am never going to do is port the whole thing over to C just to get C programmers to help me. I do not know C and never had the patience to learn it. Unless someone has a functional VB to C converter, its not going to happen. This stuff is already way too big.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:11:37 PM by peteym5 » Logged
beyonder
Community Member

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »

One cool effect you might want to try is dimming the lights and then creating a spotlight parented to the camera. This might create the effect of someone in the dark with a flashlight - a much more dramatic effect.

Looking good....

"And what I saw scared me to the depths of my miserable soul. It was true, it was all a sham, it ain't real." - The Thirteenth Floor
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: