Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding PArt of Texture with Alpha Channel  (Read 4674 times)
StevenD2003
Community Member

« on: February 28, 2011, 03:43:37 PM »

Hi everyone, well, started a new project and new to the true vision sdk.  What I am trying to do is create a doorway in a wall  and short of using CSG techniques for Boolean operation s I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion for this with TV product.

My thoughts when I looked at doorways are that you can create a "door" mesh containing all the door pieces (frame, door, trim etc) and then animate the door.  However the wall mesh and texture are still there.  If I apply a texture to a wall mesh and knew the z,y,z coordinates of the location I want to see thru (as if there was a retangualar hole in the
wall.  Can this be done with the alpha channel of the texture for part of the texture? Or would you see the mesh behind it.  As for walking through the opening I would think that disabling collision for those meshes would allow you to walk through the opening even though the wall mesh is still there.

Any help would great.

Thankyou,

Again.
Steven.

beyonder
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 06:49:35 PM »

I would create a model of a the wall. I would create a model of the door. You could use animation to swing the door. Or with the pivot in the right place on the door model, you could swing the door with .SetRotation of course.

If what I thought I read is true... creating an alpha for a door sounds a little messy. If your wall has thickness you'll be making holes in your model.

Ya... better learn to model first. I use 3dsmax. A cheap alternative is Milkshape.

Good luck!  Tongue

"And what I saw scared me to the depths of my miserable soul. It was true, it was all a sham, it ain't real." - The Thirteenth Floor
StevenD2003
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »

Hi, thanx.  I know and use 3DS max, so I have the door. door Frame etc.  My concern was/is really how to create the hole in the wall mesh.  Its fine if I do it it Max because of the built in functionality but in a games engine context, I need to create that Rectangular opening in the mesh to see through it.  If I decide to use the wall function in TV then I still have a wall with no opening.  IF i can create the opening what happens when I move the door?  I have to move the opening.

Steven
AriusEso
Customers
Community Member

Esoteric

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 06:09:47 AM »

Well, you could do this.

But to be honest, you're going about this in a silly way. AddWall(), AddFloor() and so on are meant as quick demo'ing functions. They're not meant for level designing. Use a modeller or write your own level editing tools in which you implement correct functionality. Hybrid is easier of course, create a level editing tool which imports props and map sections that you modelled outside in max. A lot of games take the hybrid approach, Fallout springs to mind.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:11:46 AM by AriusEso » Logged

-...-

StevenD2003
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:45 PM »

Thanx for the reply's.

Steven
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: