Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buildable and Programmable Robot Game  (Read 5188 times)
DAShoe
Community Member

« on: March 14, 2011, 02:49:12 PM »

Hi everyone! I've been a long time user/tinkerer of TV3D, first time posting.

I recently started a project that I have really gotten into and have worked on with relativley little frustration. I thought I'd post about my project to see what others might think.

Currently the purpose of the game is to build a robot from various parts and program it to defeat the other robot(s). Every robot has a "core" part that must be destroyed to be defeated. You can currently create boxes and spheres of any size and attach them to the core or other existing parts in a fixed position or on a hinge joint that can be controlled programmatically. You can also currently attach wheels, guns, batteries, and scanners for the robot to use. For programming, you can create multiple processors and write programs to load into these processors. The language is based on VB but has some differences. All movement and damage is done with the built in physics.

This project was started for fun just too see if I would be able to get anywhere and it has come along much better than I had thought it would, so I've started working on designing how the actual gameplay will work before I continue. I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on the idea to see if it is worth pursuing. I was thinking about creating a quick alpha demo if there was enough interest.

Hopefully anything that didn't make sense above can be answered with the attached screenshots (or just make it more confusing).

Thanks for reading!
nicolas
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:24:31 AM »

I'm afraid there will be quite a learning curve in this game, so I suggest the following gameplay which will bring balance to the game AND work as a built-in tutorial:

work with levels. Each new level brings you more "resources": more types and numbers of items (boxes, guns...) which you can use.

That way, you prevent people from simply building a huge bot with 1 million turrets on it. And, if you start in level 1 with simply 1 turret and 4 legs, you can learn how to use/program them best without drowning in a sea of possibilities yet.

I'd also include some example codes for each basic function (moving, target tracking, shooting...) so people can study different variants for the same task and alter them.

Because if nobody can start using this game in a reasonable amount of time, nobody will play it. So take the hand of the new player, and guide him through the huge possibilities.

If the learning curve is smooth, this kind of game would be my thing.

Offline/online?

Once you have built your robot, I'd just thro it together with one or more enemy robots into an arena (arenas may include objects to hide behind/climb onto/...?) and let the AI's do their thing while the player watches without further interaction.

Per level you could make 1 vs 1 variants, 5 vs 5... and maybe even a variant where you must fight a single level 4 (for example) robot against 2 level 3 (or 2?) robots. In the many vs many variants, maybe you could allow the player to create a team from different design instead of multiple identical robots.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:28:20 AM by nicolas » Logged
DAShoe
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 08:56:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

These are all great things to keep in mind. My current idea consist of 2 different parts to the game. One section would be challenges where you are given a scenario with specific win conditions and each challenge would have a difficulty level to choose. Depending on the scenario, the easy difficulty my require you to just correct faulty code, while the medium difficulty would require you to write the code, and finally an expert difficulty would require a robot design and code. My next step is to get the level editor made so I can start playing with ideas to see how I like it. My idea for the second part of the game centers around a website with a ladder where you would upload a robot to enter into battles. I also am planning a feature where you can create "parts" (locked or unlocked) for others to use in their robots, with credit being given to the creator if a bot on the ladder is using one of their parts. I currently have a point system in place to use to limit the amount and types a parts a robot could have. I'm also planning a replay system, arena editor, and possibly remote control capabilities where your robot can check for keyboard inputs.

Currently my biggest concern is performance. To be able to support replays, I have to set the physics EnableCPUOptimizations to off which can really hurt performance on some systems. Otherwise I'd have to record replays by recording position/rotation of every object every frame, which can create some huge files.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, it really helps keep me excited about the project. Hopefully I can come through.
micmanos
Customers
Community Member

ExoPilot

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »

Ok, i got to ask something here ... did you watch the Japanese anime "Plawres Sanshiro"?

Cause it pretty much looks like you're trying to build something like that, but less fancy of course  Smiley

DAShoe
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:59 PM »

I had never heard of that, but it sounds similar to what I am doing  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: