Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Dungeon RPG Maker naming suggestions.  (Read 17053 times)
peteym5
Community Member

« on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:38 PM »

Hey there everyone. For several years I have been working on 3D RPG Maker Software. It originally went under the name RP3DA, then later Realm Magic. I am considering a more catchy title. I am considering Mythic Dungeon (Adventures), Role Playing Adventure, or Dungeon Magic.

I ported the program over to VB.NET, working for the most part. It is still holding in TV6.3. Conversion to 6.5 will probably happen if I get enough demand for it, but it does not seem to be able to do anything better or faster than 6.3.

Along with conversion to .NET, I rearranged tables and code types make setting up a game easier. The Skill Level and Experience Point system is easier to setup and now can add skill levels as needed. The Quest and Task data is stored in one table instead of two. Now Done with a system of Quest Headers followed by a list of tasks.

Well if you feel if Realm Magic is corny or weak and believe I should give it a better name, let me hear from you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 09:31:54 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Dimple
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »

Smiley

Ouch! I just did a search for several names I thought up, and they all are in use, or have been used before. Thinking up a good name may be harder than I thought.  Realms: Magic -- Quests

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:13:28 AM by Dimple » Logged

Using VB.NET, TV3D 6.5, Win 7
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Know how to ask. There is nothing more difficult for some people, nor for others, easier."

- Baltasar Gracian
AriusEso
Customers
Community Member

Esoteric

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:04 AM »

Conversion to 6.5 will probably happen if I get enough demand for it, but it does not seem to be able to do anything better or faster than 6.3.

How do you figure? :s. It does everything better and faster with the added bonus of a more modern and complete feature set.

-

As for names, maybe stay away from the usual "fantasy" words like "realm/magic" and stuff. Or try some latin -- Regnum Magia.

-...-

peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

Work for converting to 6.5 probably won't happen for a few months. I know it is faster and has some useful features. I tried 6.5 a few years ago and every sample I found crashed under Windows XP and get blank screen under Windows 7. Also all the samples I find has to be converted to VB.NET 2008, 2010. Just learning the differences of 6.5 is an issue due to the lack of working samples.

I may go with Imperium Magica, but keep the project files under Realm Magic, Using Latin was a good ideal, it is on the Google Translator. I can try several variations to find something more unique. As long as no one is using for a RPG Builder or RPG game I am OK with that

Some alternate names I came up with were - Magicus Regum, Magica Regum. Magus Regum is in use. That is porting the worlds Realm and Magic. Other options can be Lacumiter (Dungeon Journey). Don't want someone can come up with perverted versions of the title.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:49:08 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »

You can call it:

Brilliant
And
Super
Tremendous
Action
Recreator of
Dungeons

Cheesy

TV3D 6.5 Community Docs - Read, use and please contribute!
AriusEso
Customers
Community Member

Esoteric

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:40:04 PM »

<3 Lenn.

-...-

peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:27:06 PM »

Imperium Magica is the new working title. The original name was Role Playing 3D Adventure (RP3DA) and for obvious reasons, I decided to replace it with something simpler, Realm Magic. However a few different online entities are now using it and need something catchier. Using a latin like title may make it catchier.

I am looking around for a low cost web service that has some free features like bulletin board, page counter, and screen shot service. Want something that I can stay in touch with the end user and keep track errors, suggestions, and comments.

If I start up a conversion to 6.5 soon, I am also going to be doing further refinements. I am going to look for further ways to reduce the amount of work involved in making a Dungeon and RPG game. I have a few ideals in the table.

I am going to be working on another project for the next couple of months and only be doing peripheral work on this.

Here are some more screen shots, and more are under the Showcase thread.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:28:52 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »

May I recommend Joomla for your website.
There are plugins which are easily installed to make a forum, gallery, etc. You only need to be careful when taking a host, and ask them if they support Joomla. Some plugins (components) also need a lot of php access, so you may need to check that as well.

peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »

do you have a website for this Joomia? When I Google searched I got several different services listed. Plus I am looking for a low cost web site hosting. An issue with many of the free services, they have limited bandwidth and freeze for 24 hours if the bandwidth is exceeded.

I am putting the web pages together right now with screen shots, a help page full of pictures, and a source for many downloads. I am giving people on here a heads up before posting on a RPG related site.

TroM
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »

you can try http://www.godaddy.com/
beyonder
Community Member

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »

I've been using GoDaddy for years. I have lots of traffic on one of my sites and it's performed very well.

They did get hacked into a few months ago and some of my files where messed with. But so far so good.

"And what I saw scared me to the depths of my miserable soul. It was true, it was all a sham, it ain't real." - The Thirteenth Floor
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 08:51:59 PM »

I checked them out and is one possible. I don't think everything I have will exceed 10 GB, so I am in good hands with their lowest cost package.

I have been considering further refinements to the RPG builder so people can make large worlds with less work. I do want to work with co-developers on new ideals. Some things on the table include consolidating start and current hitpoints for computer controlled characters. Since all characters always start at one hitpoint value, why do I still need to have 2 fields. The current hitpoints are stored during game play.

Another concept I am looking at is a grade/group system for weapons, armor, and enemy characters. That is if you have lower grade weapons, you will only be able to defeat enemies of the same grade. If you are attacked by something of a higher grade, you will be easily defeated. Each grade will have a hitpoint range, cost, attack amounts. This information will be filled in as new weapons, armor pieces, and characters are created. Currently you have to manually enter this information.
Toaster
Community Member

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 11:16:33 PM »

-1 for godaddy. Its my current host and its by far some of the crappest hosting you can get. Support is so sh**ty it makes my eyes bleed and its so f***ing overpriced. Go with bluehost they are pretty good and cheap!: http://www.bluehost.com/

-Toaster

Visit my site at: Unknown Abstraction
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 11:22:17 AM »

I am not looking to use more than a few gigabytes. so those ones that have 50gb, 100gb, or unlimited is kinda overkill for what I am intending to use. GoDaddy seems to be right for what I am doing. I intend to use it for my RPG Builder - "Imperium Magica" and "BrickSpace" Truevision 3D games. I have a few Dark Basic games that were started up but I cannot find the time to complete them.

I am working on 2 retro Atari 8-bit games in the works and we are getting get demand for those. Almost to the point people are looking to pay upfront money. I already did one and made around $600 USD of cartridge sales. Its funny more people are willing to pay for retro game cartridges than new modern computer games that are light years more advance.
arnienet
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »

Nice, yes it seems to be a phase atm, one of the reasons Minecraft has taken off I guess, although it does need all the processing power of a modern GPU, due to the amount of blocks.

Am I reading right? You actually produced some Atari Usable Cartridges, if so nice one!

I read years ago that games with more basic graphics can be more engaging, as they leave more to the imagination, looks like it's still true. I also suspect in this age of HQ graphics competition, much more work goes into the graphics than the game play, or perhaps the graphics dominate over game play. Maybe people are just want something out of the norm.

Total Dev time = 50% to code, 50% to test, 50% to find errors, 50% to fix, that's why it takes twice as long.

Dawn World MMO
peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »

I am the programmer for Tempest Extreme....

http://atari-sales.com/atlantis/

The is my friends Sals website. He is fluent with adding computer music. If you are looking for someone to make up music for your game, I can refer you to him.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/136924-tempest-xtreem-now-order-page-from-video-61/

I have 2 other atari 8-bit games I have been working on. It is the reason why I cannot dedicate 100% of my time to upgrading my RPG Builder software.

There is more work that needs to be done and have been asking for help all along its existence. I still have to find a way to update it to TV6.5. I have to go to all the Truevision commands in the whole program and change them. When programs gets as large as my RPG builder, it may take months.

I also want to add an autofill assistant in some of the datatables. I already have assistance with figuring out experience points to advance to each skill level. Like if you enter 100,200,300,400,600,800, a box below states 1000 that came from subracting the difference from the last 2 levels and adding it to the last level. I am working on something the figures out a cost of a weapon from its HP damage. Lets say 20 gold base + 2 gold for every HP point, 50 HP damage will cost 120 Gold. Its being geared from saving us time to going to the calculator or trying to figure these things out in our head.

Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »

You sold that very old 8bit atari game on a cart, for $50 Huh How many did you Sell???  Cool

peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

We sold about 70 cartridges. I believe it may have to do something with interest of simpler times.

I hope I can do something with some PC software. Simplifying things is something I have been doing in the next version of my RPG maker. I chopped out and consolidated several things.
Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »

Yea it's all the people who want to feel they have something special. It's the collectors. If there were more indie devs making Atari cartriges then they wouldn't be so special anymore, i guess.

Good find on the niche market though. Smiley Nice job selling 70 even!

peteym5
Community Member

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »

I have create a page with GoDaddy. http://www.thepetezone.com/imperiummagica/Index.htm I am in the process of zipping up all the files and and attaching the hyperlinks, there are a few things still not uploaded as of right now.

The download now contains the editor (builder) and the client (player) you need to play the games.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 06:12:21 PM by peteym5 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: