Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "TextureFont_Create" produces unclean results (e.g. "i")  (Read 5666 times)
TheOneTrueGod
Community Member

« on: October 06, 2007, 05:53:01 AM »

Using TV3D SDK 6.5 Open Prerelease (September 2nd, 2007).

The command "TV2Dtext.TextureFont_Create" reliably produces an unwanted spot on the lowercase letter "i". My guess is that this is actually a part of the lowercase letter "j".

Code:
.TextureFont_Create("Times New Roman", "Times New Roman", 100, False, False, False, True)

Works with "Verdana", too, but there it does not seem to happen below about size 50 or so. Very much seems to be an effect of pairwise kerning.

Here's a screenshot:

Now that I look at it myself, I see that the lowercase letter "i" is actually cut off on the right! Hm. This function needs some debugging, methinks.

The antialiasing in the menu of that screenshot was done with interpolated downscaling, btw. And that's what I need those bigass fonts for. Details (off topic):

http://www.truevision3d.com/forums/game_development/tip_how_to_implement_font_antialiasing_downscaling-t16394.0.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 07:25:39 AM by TheOneTrueGod » Logged
TheOneTrueGod
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 11:21:38 PM »

I wonder how this subject does not seem to be of any interest for the developers / that no-one seems to have the problem.
newborn
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:22:53 AM »

Sorry man, I understand your frustration! But you have to know that the devs have about 2000 other bugs to fix before even venturing on the new ones. Use the bug tracker...

jviper
Community Member

Discipline in training

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:05:46 AM »

Looks like a slight error with the texture they use to create the font (internally).

JAbstract.....Don't just imagine, make it happen!
SylvainTV
Administrator
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »

Sorry hehe i'm only here the weekends.

This is probably caused by bad results that get returned by GetTextExtent32 function.
I will check with your example and try to fix that Smiley

Add it to bugtracker if it's not yet already. It really helps to keep track of things.

Regards

Sylvain Dupont
TrueVision3D Developer
sylvain@truevision3d.com

TV3D IRC at http://chat.truevision3d.com or on server irc.truevision3d.com #Truevision3D. Come talk with us !
mansie
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:11:55 AM »

Just posted a similar comment myself - hadn't realised you already raised the issue. The only immediate solution appears to be to reduce the size of the surface you're writing on, and using a smaller font size. Not much of a fix as the font's become grainy if you stretch them too much!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: