Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3DS MAX to TVM/TVA texture missing  (Read 20142 times)
blade
Community Member

« on: November 12, 2009, 09:02:59 AM »

Hello

I'm relatively new into 3D programming.

I have copied a model from DAZ (using OBJ export) into MAX.

In Max it looks great, with textures and all. Without changing anything I export it using TVM file to see what is happening. When I use the Viewer, I see that only part of the textures are present. This is very random, because if I repeat the export another part of the textures can be present and anonther part missing.

When I tried UVW unwrap, I saved 63 files, guess thats the number of textures on the model. Is there any limitation, or do I have to do something else first?

Please help...THANKS SO MUCH.

Blade.
beyonder
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 09:47:44 AM »

Wait...  Grin  You are using a DAZ model in Truevision? I recall them being over 50,000 polys per model.

The best thing to do is to assign your textures in game, actually. That way you have more control. Its cool that you got it to load. Now bring it into the engine environement.

"And what I saw scared me to the depths of my miserable soul. It was true, it was all a sham, it ain't real." - The Thirteenth Floor
Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:18:51 AM »

Umm yeah, what you're actually doing is creating a group for each texture. Maybe the limit is 64 groups. That's too much anyway. In realtime 3d graphics there are usually limits to how many textures you want on a model. You should optimize this one to be suitable for a game engine or rather directx 9. Reduce the number of polygons, and make it so it has only one texture which you should manually UV map. There are many tutorials on how to do that online, but 3d modeling for 3d engines is rather different than for rendering.

TV3D 6.5 Community Docs - Read, use and please contribute!
blade
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »

Hi

Thanks so far,
Ok, I got the complete model into the engine

1) Model has polys: 133,660 and verts: 70,638 and consists of 63 elements, e.g. head, neck, left shoulder, etc. YES, that is a lot, I am going to reduce that and see what happens as well later. For now however:

2) Applied Unwrap UVW modifier and saved 63 files in separate directory, 01.uvw, 02.uvw, etc.

3) Exported model without doing anything else to TVM file

4) Load the model into (as a mesh) Truevision3D

5) It shows with only a few meshes missing!!! Darn. So close and yet so far.

Maybe I should indeed try to reduce the number of polys/verts.

Blade

So what's next?
blade
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »

For all the newbies like myself out there. I finally got it fixed by using PandaSoft Plugin for MAX 3D to export to DirectX.

I don't know why PandaSoft works without any problems and TVM doesn't...at least I got my pipeline working for meshes without animation!
AriusEso
Customers
Community Member

Esoteric

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »

Well, what people are saying is true. That amount of triangles and textures is somewhat stupid in realtime. But I am glad you got it working. Would you care to mention what settings you used in panda, maybe it will become apparent what the block was?

Thanks,

- Geoff.

-...-

blade
Community Member

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »

Hi,

Although the mesh works with PANDA...the animation doesn't. In the TVviewer only the bones move and the mesh stays like a statue...

Completely frustrated I went back to the Panda website and found I need to instal the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package, as this was missing. But now everything works with the Truevision3d exporter X, TVM and TVA formats!!!

Single Mesh (polys: 56,948 and Verts: 31,682 with multiple texture files) This after I optimized the model. The model comes from DAZ (Michael 4) exported to OBJ.
What doesn't come across is the MAX materials, have to be baked into textures!

Now the mega test, keep Michael as a multiple mesh and multiple textures and not optimized...let's see...
Even that exports perfectly! polys: 132,048 and verts: 69,759

Ok settings for the whole pipeling!
My SOFTWARE
DAZ Studio 2.3, version 2.3.3.50
Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2009 32-bit, release 11.0
TrueVision3D SDK 6.5

DAZ export to OBJ
BASIC TAB
Preset: MAX (1 unit = 1m)
uncheck all
ADVANCED TAB
<uncheck> Swap Y and Z Orientation
<check> Write UV coordinates
<check> Write Normals
<check> Write Object Statements
<check> Write Groups
<check> Use Node Name(s)
<check> Write Surfaces
<check> Collect Maps
LOD LEVELS TAB
keep empty

continue next message
blade
Community Member

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:34 AM »

OBJ import into MAX
<uncheck> Reset Scene...unless you want that ofcourse
<check or uncheck> Import as single Mesh
from the list with element choose what you need. I suggest to leave the "eyeBrow" out, as this is a material, and without you get the whole face otherwise you have to bake it anyway.
GEOMETRY
<check> Flip ZY-axis
<check> Center Pivots
<uncheck> Shape/lines
<check> Texture maps
<check> Smoothing groups
Object Scale 1.0 (actually didn't experiment with this
MATERIAL
<check> Unique Wire Color
<check> Import Materials
<uncheck> Prefix (well whatever you want I think)
Default Bump 2
<uncheck> Force Black ambient
<check> Import into Mat-editor
<check> Show maps in viewport

<check> Write log to import folder...

PRESS IMPORT...and there we have it

Export using TVM/X-text/TVA...works like a charm now...this whole exercise costed me over 6 WEEKS...so why the (really bad word...so BEEP) couldn't someone tell me this.

Good luck
Blade
sethshawn
Community Member

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:24:02 AM »

Java 3D can take advantage of any 3D acceleration that your graphics adapter provides. Java 3D ultimately generates OpenGL calls in a JNI layer that can be accelerated by your graphics card. OpenGL accelerated adapters are common in newer workstations, so your Java 3D programs should be hardware accelerated.

Lenn
Customers
Community Member

+/-

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:56:51 AM »

Java 3D can take advantage of any 3D acceleration that your graphics adapter provides. Java 3D ultimately generates OpenGL calls in a JNI layer that can be accelerated by your graphics card. OpenGL accelerated adapters are common in newer workstations, so your Java 3D programs should be hardware accelerated.

Hmm, this is strange. It looks like a spam message, yet it contains no advertising. Exploratory bot service perhaps?

TV3D 6.5 Community Docs - Read, use and please contribute!
Toaster
Community Member

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »

They are getting smarter. Its only a matter of time before they start speaking like us! Whats next? Taking over the world? Cry

*runs and hides in the caves*

-Toaster

Visit my site at: Unknown Abstraction
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: