Search Home Members Contacts
About Us
Products
Downloads
Community
Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I cannot see my actor ".tva" in tv3s in vb.net  (Read 3668 times)
kirkster
Community Member

« on: September 02, 2011, 08:48:48 AM »

I've created a model in milkshape and saved it as a .x file. this model displays fine when i insert as a mesh into my project and I can see the model in the world i've created. However, when i change it to "actor" i can no longer see the model. I've tried adding textures, lighting etc. and still cannot see the model when it is loaded as an actor. I opened the file in model viewer and i can see it perfectly in there, i then saved it from there as a "tva" file and tried to upload it, yet i still cannot see it. i can set its positions, and when i check it's positions, they are definitely set, but the object itself is nowhere to be seen, i've been trying to figure this out for days, i've looked at about every post ever and can find no resolutions to this problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Duckstab
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »

okay several possible problems

1. Scale try scaling the model its possible something happened in the conversion
2. The Models center might not have been exported correctly
3. Clear its material
4. The model bones were not exported correctly and the model exploded
5. only the Bones were exported

a good way to debug the conversion is to Do a simple box and 1 or 2 bones save it first as a mesh then as a actor
load these both in and see if there is a visable difference, its possible you might need to tweak your pipeline a little

I know milkshape directx export can cause problems you will need to play with the settings to get a correct export

I personally use .x most of the time UU3d is a very good model conversion app and can help clean up bad .x exports
kirkster
Community Member

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

I've tried to import the animation from several different files. i've tried the Rancor model, which i'm sure would work, i also originally tried using .x files, and thought it may be a problem with the file type. I'm quite sure there's no problem with my model as i've tried several different models.

What do you mean by tweaking my pipeline?

I have exported a file using milkshape in about 20 different ways, so again pretty sure no problems with the model.

I will try UU3D if you think it will solve the problem, but shouldn't the rancor model work?

Here's the code i'm using to upload the model, perhaps i'm missing something?

MyActor = Scene.CreateActor("MyMan")
MyActor.LoadTVA("C:\Users\jameski\Desktop\my stuff\VB .NET TV3D 6.5 Tutorials\my game pics\myman.TVA", True, True)
MyActor.SetPosition(TankPosition.x, TankPosition.y + 5, TankPosition.z)
MyActor.SetScale(5, 5, 5)

the positions i have used here are what i've used for a mesh which is not animated and it displays perfectly, it seems to be only when i'm attempting to use an actor.

I've looked into this a lot myself, and a few people seem to be saying you need a newer version of the .dll, i've tried tvb3d65.dll and mtv3d65.dll, i'm using tv8 - tutorial 7 as a template just to try and get things working, maybe it's something in there also. that was originally using tv3d65.dll, though this didn't work either.

many thanks for your help with this once again. Really looking forward to making a great game once i get passed this problem Smiley.

thanks again.
kirkster
Community Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »

fixed this by the way.

i was missing a Scene.RenderAllActors() in my main loop, thought i tried this, must have put it in when i had an actor that didn't work then took it out when i had a working one.

thanks for your help anyway.
Duckstab
Customers
Community Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

glad to see you fixed it Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: